Saturday, January 14, 2017

Volume I, Issue I - An Introduction

Main Event: Why People Should Exercise

           Being that this is a blog centered around fitness and an overall healthy lifestyle I figured why not have the first main event story be the most obvious one: Why You Should Exercise.
           The easy answer is that exercise will improve your overall health and quality of life.  That being said I know that there needs to be some hard facts to back up my claim.
           The Mayo Clinic states that regular physical activity not only controls weight by burning more calories, it also improves your mood and helps battle against physical and mental disorders.  Exercise can improve your energy levels, it can fight against depression by increasing the release of the feel good hormone called serotonin.  Meaning that getting out to even walking for thirty minutes a day can help you become fitter and happier¹.  Who wouldn’t want that?  
           I’m sure that many of you have seen the ads for the chain gym Planet Fitness which promises no ‘gym-timidation’ as a way to gain new members.  Although I do think some people get intimidated by the gym I believe that there are a good number of people who just plain do not want to join a gym.  This can be as simple as a lack of motivation which is a topic for another day.  Joining a gym is the most common way to get your daily dose of exercise, however it is far from the only way.
           If the idea of joining a gym at this moment does not appeal to you there are many ways to get the recommended 150 minutes of weekly exercise.  I will cover in another section of this blog where you can go to walk and enjoy the beauty of not only Cape Cod but a lot of New England as well.  If the weather outside is frightful there are ways to get in your exercise inside.  You can use bodyweight exercises such as squats, lunges, and pushups.  There are cheap pieces of equipment you can buy such as resistance bands, medicine balls, and floor mats.  Best of all in this day and age of technology there are countless online workouts led by qualified instructors that can give you a gym-quality class in your own living room.
           The most important part of exercise is to get started. The psychological benefits of physical activity can be felt almost immediately.  When done regularly the strength and cardio benefits can begin to show in a few weeks².  Before you see the results you will feel them.  The increased energy and improved mood should make it easier to keep going.
           I will do my best here to share ways to make that fitness journey easier and even fun.  Remember if you have any questions, or just need a shot of motivation I am just an email away.  I was not born a trainer, I am still basically a regular guy still working on my own fitness journey.  The photo below is a before and after showing my own 35-lb weight loss.  If I can do it anyone can!

image
Sources Cited:
  1. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/in-depth/exercise/art-20048389
  2. http://www.livestrong.com/article/474841-how-long-before-you-feel-the-benefits-of-exercise/


Workout Song Of the Day - 24K Magic - Bruno Mars


Load video


What’s In My Gym Bag?:  

Vitamin D3 – The ‘sun vitamin’ is plentiful outside yet surprisingly many have a deficiency of it.  If one is deficient supplementing with D3, getting back to normal levels, may help in athletic performance. Low levels can lead to an increased risk of stress fractures, as the vitamin helps regulate calcium absorption.  It also supports lung and cardiovascular health.
An average daily dose of Vitamin D is between 2,000-4,000 IU (International Units) naturally, so additional supplementation of 2,000IU would be best if one is thinking of trying it.  
As with any supplement please talk to your doctor if you have any questions. I am only sharing what I use and think will help others.
Or buy it in store at their location at the Festival Plaza in Hyannis, MA.


Did You Know?  

 According to My Fitness Pal.com, a 150-lb person burns 422 calories shoveling snow for an hour.  Spring begins on March 20th!


“The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.” – Winston Churchill



Gear

For those getting their daily dose of exercise out in the elements you can’t go wrong with this lightweight and warm Bodhi Beanie from Cape Cloth.  I’ve got mine! Pick one up online here: http://www.capecloth.com/shop/bodhibeanie


About Me

I am a World Instructor Training School (W.I.T.S.) Certified Personal Trainer living on Cape Cod, Massachusetts. I am an avid runner with forty races under my belt from 5K’s to marathons.  My goal is to share my experiences and love of fitness with as many people as possible whether through this blog or through training.  I would love to chat via email at ChristopherSetterlund@gmail.com.  If there are any questions, or topics you would like to see covered in future posts please contact me. If you would like to train with me I am currently plying my trade at Mid-Cape Athletic Club. You may call them to inquire about an appointment at 508-394-3511, visit them online at Midcapeathletic.com, or visit their club at 193 Whites Path in South Yarmouth, MA. 

No comments:

Post a Comment