Monday, January 23, 2017

Volume I, Issue II - Why Men Should Do Yoga

The Main Event: The Benefits of Yoga For Men

            Many men of all ages, shapes, and sizes live by the mantra of hitting the gym, lifting, and going home.  For years I did this same thing.  My mindset began to change when I took a liking to running.  My legs would take a beating from hundreds of miles of constant pounding.  In addition to learning my own proper running form I started to understand the benefits of stretching.  Static stretches, particularly those working on the quadriceps, hamstrings, and calves, became a part of my routine. 
            I had dabbled in yoga on my own at home, even purchasing The Yoga Deck by Olivia Miller.  I had never taken it too seriously though as I had believed that my own stretching on my own was all I needed.  However it was not until I took a chance and actually went to a yoga class that I learned just how beneficial the practice was.  
            There are many reasons I could give as to why men should incorporate yoga into their fitness routines.  It increases range of motion, it strengthens your stabilizer muscles, it helps your breathing by focusing on it, and maybe most importantly it strengthens your mind through the practice.  Those reasons should be enough for any man to at least give it a try.¹
            I tried my hand at hot power yoga. This was a 90-minute class where the temperature was set at a balmy 90-degrees.  Anyone who thinks that yoga is easy, or just something that ladies do, needs to spend a few minutes attempting some of the poses in the heat.  I was pouring sweat within minutes.  After a few consecutive poses like Warrior II, Chair Pose, and Triangle Pose I was begging for the Downward Dog pose which is considered ‘rest.’
            By the time class ended I was a puddle and my muscles felt like noodles.  It was one of the most difficult workouts I had ever done, and I loved every moment of it.  After a few more classes with the amazing Chrissy Petrillo instructing I began to notice little things like increased flexibility as well as less muscle pain from running.  Since then it has become a part of my routine, even if I do not attend a class I have learned what poses help my body recover and strengthen through specific types of workouts.
            Those men who have tried yoga know what I am talking about when it comes to these benefits.  Those who are still skeptical go and give it at least one try.  What have you got to lose?



Workout Song of the Day: Adventure of a Lifetime – Coldplay

     

            Buy It On iTunes: Coldplay - Adventure Of A Lifetime


Snack of the Day: Halo Top Ice Cream.  For so many people sticking to a diet means giving up some sort of treat that they love.  One such treat is likely to be ice cream.  However that is a thing of the past thanks to Halo Top.  The folks at Halo Top use stevia and another natural sweetener known as Erythritol in place of sugar.  In comparison per serving Halo Top’s vanilla ice cream has 60 calories compared to 250 for both Ben & Jerry’s and Haagen Dazs.  As far as fat content, per serving, Halo Top’s vanilla has 2 grams of fat compared to 16 grams for Ben & Jerry’s and 17 grams for Haagen Dazs.  If it is ice cream you’re craving Halo Top comes to the rescue.  It is readily available in 17 delicious flavors at Whole Foods. Halo Top.com


Did You Know?: According to Very Well.com those who hold on to the side rails while walking on a treadmill burn 20-25% fewer calories than those who do not.   Very Well.com


Working With Clients: At the gym where I train, MidCape Athletic Club, a high percentage of the clientele are active seniors.  The majority of them, when I ask them what their goals are as far as fitness goes, tell me that it is to make the activities of daily life easier.  One such way to do this is to improve their grip strength.  A stronger grip contributes to an overall stronger body.  Over half of the muscles in the body are designed to help you lift things and carry things.¹
When it comes to daily life for seniors it is easy to see why a strong grip is beneficial.  It helps with tasks such as opening a jar or even getting up out of a chair.  Although there are hand grip strengtheners you squeeze I have found a different prop that has contributed greatly to improving the grip strength of several of my clients, and that is a toning ball. 
A toning ball is a soft weighted ball usually reserved for Pilates and can weigh anywhere from 1-lb to more than 5-lbs.  I have used 2-lb balls for my clients and have led them through a variety of exercises including reverse bicep curls and front and side deltoid raises.  The key is that the individual in order to complete the motion must maintain their grip on the ball.  This not only works the muscles but also strengthens the grip at the same time.
A highlight for me was having my client Dottie, who is over 70, tell me that her arthritis pain had all but subsided after several sessions with the toning balls.  I highly recommend if you have access to them to use that for any aged client to help with grip strength.  

I found a good deal on toning balls here: Yoga Accessories.com



Inspirational Quote: “If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” – Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.


About Me:  I am a World Instructor Training School (W.I.T.S.) Certified Personal Trainer living on Cape Cod, Massachusetts. I am an avid runner with forty races under my belt from 5K’s to marathons.  My goal is to share my experiences and love of fitness with as many people as possible whether through this blog or through training.  I would love to chat via email at ChristopherSetterlund@gmail.com

If there are any questions, or topics you would like to see covered in future posts please contact me.  If you would like to train with me I am currently plying my trade at Mid-Cape Athletic Club. You may call them to inquire about an appointment at 508-394-3511, visit them online at Midcapeathletic.com, or visit their club at 193 Whites Path in South Yarmouth, MA.

Read My Previous Post Here: Volume I, Issue I - An Introduction


No comments:

Post a Comment